CANTON LODGE No. 28, F. &
UNDER DISPENSATION: 1836
CHARTERED: January 4, 1837
3rd Monday @ 7:00 PM
245 E. Fulton Street
P. O. Box 285
Canton, MS 39046
Original Masonic Lodge building: The first record we have of the Masons in Canton, is a deed from Jesse Heard to the Canton Royal Arch Masons Chapter No. 10 to part of Lot 4 Square 4 for $1200 dated June 19, 1832. This is the lot for the three story Masonic Lodge located at the corner of Peace and Union Streets on the town square. In a deed issued January 4, 1967, the Royal Arch Chapter No. 10 split ownership of the property three ways with Canton Lodge No. 28 and York Rite Council No. 38. After the completion of the current Masonic Lodge, the original Lodge was sold on October 21, 1968 to T. W. Gowdy. The Masons met on the third floor of the original building and for a while leased the second floor to the Oddfellows. Towards the end of the Civil War the building was occupied by the Federal Government and the Masons were not allowed to use the building. All the records of the lodge during and prior to that time also disappeared. However using Grand Lodge records we have been able to reconstruct information for this web site.
Current Masonic Lodge building: On September 18, 1968 the lot at 245 E. Fulton Street was purchased for the construction of a new Lodge building. In August 1969 a loan of $12,000 was taken to build the Lodge building. The new building is known to have been completed and occupied by November 1971. On September 12, 1972 the building was dedicated, free of debt. It has been used since that time by the Masons and Eastern Star. The current building was one of the first single story Lodge buildings allowed to be constructed in Mississippi.
Affiliate organizations: Other Masonic related organizations that have existed in Canton are:
1837. During the past year, dispensations have been granted for the establishment of Lodges at the towns of Canton, Brandon, Madisonville, and Grenada. Part of Grand Secretary's address to the Grand Lodge
1837. Resolved, That charters be issued forthwith, to Canton, Coleman and Fitz Lodges, U.D. Part of Committee on subordinate Lodges report to Grand Lodge.
1865. Since last we met many important scenes have transpired; our beloved Mississippi has been shaken to its very foundation; our property destroyed, dwellings reduced to ashes, and helpless women and children driven out and thrown upon the cold charities of the world, and that, too, by the people of the Northern States, who profess Christianity. Nor is this all. The Masonic temples of our State have been robbed and desecrated by the Vandals of the North. Canton Lodge No. 28 was visited by the Yankees, the Charter stolen, together with most of the books, jewels, and other property, and the greater portion of the Lodges of Madison county suffered the same fate. Part of Grand Masters address to the Grand Lodge
1866. Special Dispensations have been granted the following Charter Lodges that have had their charters taken by the enemy: Morton Lodge, No. 254; Scott, No. 80; New Ireland, No. 253; Satartia, No. 176; Sageville, No. 186; Campbellton, No. 228; Shady Grove, No. 43; Canton, No. 28; Evergreen, No. 77; Prairie, No. 87; Baldwyn, No. 243; Rock Ford, No. 185. On proper application being made, I would recommend that duplicate Charters be issued, free of charge, except the Grand Secretary's fee, and that all other Lodges in like circumstances, have the same favor extended them. Part of Grand Masters address to the Grand Lodge
1866. Special Dispensations have been issued to the following Lodges to resume labor, viz.: Raymond, No. 21; Vicksburg, No. 26; Canton, No. 28; Holly Springs, No. 35; Yazoo, No. 42; Oakland, No. 82; Coffeeville, No. 83; Mt. Moriah, No. 86; North Mount Pleasant, No. 99; Coahoma, No. 104; Carrollville, No. 108; Magnolia, No. 120; Bay St. Louis, No. 147; Dover, No. 197; Campbellton, No. 228; One hundred and forty-two Lodges failed to report to the last Grand Annual Communication. The following resolution was adopted at your last Grand Annual Communication: That all Lodges which, in consequence of the disturbed condition of the country, have been unable to hold their meetings or to make returns, shall be allowed until next Grand Annual Communication to resume work, without forfeiture of Charter, if approved by the Grand Master or D. D. G. M. of the District in which such Lodge is situated. Part of Grand Secretaries address to the Grand Lodge
June 24, 1869. At Canton, Mississippi, being the Anniversary of St. John the Baptist, there was a special Grand Lodge communication held at Canton Lodge No. 28. Grand Master Thos. S. Gathright was assisted by the Grand Senior Warden, Bro. Geo. R. Fearn, W. M., Canton Lodge No. 28 and Rev. J. M. Lewis, P. G. Chaplain, Canton Lodge No. 28 in the celebration of this event.
February 18, 1907. A resolution from Sharon Lodge No. 103 was read at Canton Lodge No. 28 requesting the consolidation of Sharon Lodge No. 103 into Canton Lodge No. 28.
1968. Lot for new Lodge purchased from Mrs. Nell Lutz for $4,000.00.
1969. New Lodge building built for $45,485.11.
September 12, 1972. On Tuesday, September 12, 1972, we convened at Canton Lodge No. 28 for the purposed of dedicating this great Lodge free of debt. An exceptionally good crowd was on hand for this auspicious occasion.
Emergent Communication of Grand Lodge
Place: Canton, Mississippi
Purpose: Dedicating Canton Lodge Hall
|Grand Master||Walter L. Smith|
|Deputy Grand Master||Gordon Nanny, Pro Tem|
|Senior Grand Warden||Edward B. Shearer|
|Junior Grand Warden||Mays D. Whelchel|
|Grand Chaplain||L. S. Walker|
|Grand Orator||L. S. Matthews, Pro Tem|
|Grand Treasurer||L. H. Johnson, Pro Tem|
|Grand Lecturer||Watt Carter|
|Senior Grand Deacon||Calvin Morgan, Pro Tem|
|Junior Grand Deacon||W. G. Cotton|
|Grand Marshal||Harvey F. McCrory|
|Grand Sword Bearer||Charles Saliba, Pro Tem|
|Grand Pursuivant||W. B. McDavid|
|Grand Tiler||Verner Jeffries|
Remarks: Delicious meal, big crowd, Mike Lammons, Ford Harrington, T. O. Gore, Jr., were special guests
CANTON CHAPTER #58
ORDER OF THE EASTERN STAR
CONSTITUTED: June 14, 1909
MEETS: 3rd Thursday @ 7:00 PM