BOGUE CHITTO LODGE No. 260, F.
& A. M.
BOGUE CHITTO, MISSISSIPPI
UNDER DISPENSATION: January 16, 1860
CHARTERED: January 15, 1866
MEETS: 1st Monday @ 7:00 PM
413 Monticello Street
Bogue Chitto, Mississippi
GPS: N31 26.362 W90 27.261
Masonic Lodge buildings:
- 1st: Information on the location of this building is still being
researched. It is known that this building burned on October 8, 1872.
- 2nd: In 1875 the Lodge purchased Lot 11 Block 10 from Stephen
& Susana Sasser and built their Lodge on the lot. After the resurvey
of the Town of Bogue Chitto by Porter this became Lot 12 Block B. The same building was also used by the Baptist and
Methodist congregations before they built their own church buildings.
Grand Lodge records indicate the charter was replaced on May 28, 1900
after being destroyed in a fire when the lodge was struck by lightning.
This lot was sold to Pine Camp #99 Woodmen of the World on April 8, 1912.
The current address of this lot is 463 Monticello Street.
- 3rd: A new Lodge building on Monticello Street was destroyed by
fire after a lighting strike on May 18, 1906. It appears this building was
built in 1904 or 1905.
- 4th: The Masons relocated into the upper floor of the Planters
Bank in 1907 located on the northwest corner of West Railroad Avenue and Yellow Pine
Street. This building burned the night of January 11, 1932 destroying lodge records again.
- 5th: At some point, the Knights of Pythias #218 acquired the
Woodmen of the World building located at 463 Monticello Street. For the next several years, the Masons met in
Knights of Pythias building. This building was badly
damaged in a storm in early 1936. The Lodge purchased the building and
lot on March 15, 1939. The building was torn down with the materials
being used to construct the 6th Lodge building. The lot was sold to Lula
Myers on August 26, 1940.
- 6th: In 1939 a new Lodge building was
built across the street from the previous building on Lot 14 Block C.
Records indicate the lot was purchased for $25.00 in 1939.
Apparently there were later problems with the deed since the Lodge paid
Frank H Hartman and A. C. Cohen $75.00 for the same lot on July 26, 1954
and on May 4, 1960 received a land patent from the State of Mississippi on
the lot. This building still
stands at 474 Monticello Street.
- 7th: This building across the street from the Baptist church at
413 Monticello Street was originally a post office (one of three post office
buildings still standing in the town). When the new post office was
built next door in 1996, the Masonic Lodge moved into this building.
- The R. W. Grand Secretary presented the following petition, praying for
Dispensations authorizing the institution of the following new Lodges:
Boguechitto Lodge, at Boguechitto, Pike County, which, on his on motion,
was referred to the Committee on Dispensations. Part
of Grand Secretary's report to the 1860 Grand Lodge.
- Bro. Timberlake, in behalf of the Committee on Dispensations, submitted
the following report, which was received and adopted:
Your Committee on Dispensations, beg leave to further report that the
petition of T. J. Connally, et al., to organize a Lodge at Bogue Chitto,
Pike county, to be called Bogue Chitto Lodge No. ____, be granted, as
the papers in reference thereto are regular. J. W. TIMBERLAKE, for the
Committee. Report to the 1860 Grand Lodge.
- Dispensations issued at this Communication (1860): Bogue Chitto
Lodge No. 260, Bogue Chitto, Pike Co.
- In 1870 two Lodges had the same number, Bogue Chitto in Pike
County (now Lincoln) and Brooks in Oktibbeha County. It was recommended
and both lodges concurred that Brooks be numbered to 262.
- On October 8, 1872 Bogue Chitto Lodge No. 260 burned destroying
the Lodge and all its contents. A Duplicate Charter was issued on
November 4, 1872.
- A duplicate charter was issued May 28, 1900 after the Lodge was stuck by
lightning and burned.
- A duplicate charter was issued January 15, 1932 after the Lodge burned.
- I have approved the appeals for the following Lodges: Westville No. 78
appealing to the constituent Lodges for assistance in the repair of its
Hall. Bogue Chitto Lodge No. 260 for assistance in the rebuilding of its
Hall. From the Grand Masters report to the 1939 Grand Lodge
The members section is being
redesigned. Currently it is a mix of the old and new format.
Bogue Chitto Chapter #132
Order of the Eastern Star
Constituted: September 2, 1915
Defunct: January 6, 1920
Bogue Chitto Chapter #263
Order of the Eastern Star
Constituted: April 22, 1926
Consolidated: June 16, 2016 with Auburn #87
Auburn #87 meets the third Thursday at 7:00 PM in Auburn